Sunday, January 27, 2013

Icona Pop: I Love It

I realize this is the second consecutive post featuring a synth-pop female duo. I'm alright with that.


Sometimes you hear a song at the exact right moment and any semblance of objectivity you have about it is thrown out the window. For a period of time, maybe just a couple of days maybe years, it belongs in a category of its own. It seems like the song was written for you and no one else. Right now, that song is “I Love It.”
Some Background: in about a week I'll be moving to a new city where I've never been and know absolutely no one within about 500 miles. I'll be starting my first “real job.” Until about a week ago I wasn't sure where I would live when I get there. Its hardly a unique situation but to be honest, I'm as frightened as I've ever been. And this song is the perfect fuck you to fear, particularly the kind brought about by the onset of adulthood.
I first heard the song through the I Love Music Best of 2012 Track Countdown. It was mostly met with a chorus of vitriol, which I can understand. Lyrically and musically its pretty straightforward. It definitely walks the line between catchy and obnoxious. And to be totally honest it comes off as bratty and melodramatic.
As is the nature with such songs, the sheen will probably fade fairly quickly. But right now I love everything about it.

I love how the muscly, post-dubstep beat gives way to ostentatiously peppy teen-girl voices.
I love the delivery of “You're from the '70s but I'm a '90s BITCH.”
I love the insistent repetitiveness.
I love how they sing about vehicular suicide in the same way they'd sing about going to a party on a Saturday night.
I love that I've listened to this about 20 times in the past two days.
I love how it packs such a huge range of emotions into under three minutes.
I love the desperate delusional cling to youth.
I love that if there's a punk for Swedish synth-pop, this is it.
I love that I'm still naïve enough that a pop song can change how I approach life.
I love how I've been singing “I don't care, I love it” to myself constantly for 48 hours.
I love how straightforward it is lyrically and musically.
I love that it walks the line between catchy and obnoxious.
I love how its so bratty and melodramatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment