Saturday, January 26, 2013

New Material by Tegan and Sara


If you told me a couple of years ago that I would be excited about new music from Tegan and Sara, I'd call it a bad joke. To be fair, I never paid much attention to their early indie-folk material and its entirely possible that there's more than the one-note schtick than meets the eye, but to be perfectly honest I have very little interest in finding out.
My interest was first piqued by their recent single “Closer.” When I first heard it on the radio I had fleeting hopes that it was some previously-unrecorded Cyndi Lauper single (incidentally, between this and Bruno Mars's “Locked Out Of Heaven,” we may have to put off the 90s revival for another year or so). Its very well-constructed pop music, if a bit anonymous sounding.

Their newest single, “I Was A Fool,” explores the sound further. As with “Closer,” my first thought was that it sounded fabulous. Both songs have extremely full production. In each song, there are many sonic elements that blend together very effectively.
The most notable improvement is that “Fool” uses the vocals much more effectively. Its a bit more stripped back, with a single piano line prominent throughout much of the melody. But with powerful synth washes, its still very lush compared to their early material. This suits the vocals better and allows their personalities to shine brighter. On the previous single, there may as well have been one vocalist, but here the dual, almost dueling, vocals really shine.


Overall, its a great balance of emotional resonance and pop theatrics. Most exciting, I still think they can do better. The sound of “I Was A Fool” is a relatively unique one, at least in today's pop landscape, and I look forward to seeing Tegan & Sara explore it further.

No comments:

Post a Comment